These soft toys were part of the „24 Projects for Christmas“ initiative here in the blog, back in 2014.
And this was the first tutorial from the project. The small soft apples are very versatile – you ca use them for many different decoration occasions, not only for Christmas. They can be the toys of the rag dolls as well!
So let’s get started!
1. Necessary materials:
– Fabrics in red, small patterns in red. I use cotton, but other non-cotton fabrics should work well for this project.
– Thread in red and green color
– Ribbon (this would be the apple hanger)
– thin rope or anything similar that would be the decorative apple handle
– Green felt or green fabric for the apple leafs
– Silicone granules or any other similar material to fill in the apples.
– Printed pattern that you can find here below (The pattern is in actual size. When you print the pattern, please choose “actual size” as printing preference in the printer dialog window and then make sure that the test squares are 1 cm and 1 inch respectively. *** 1” is 2.54 cm)
2. Print the pattern and cut the apple pieces.
3. Draw the pattern pieces on the wrong side of the red fabric, you need two pieces for every apple.
4. Sew along the edge of the pattern as shown. I use seam allowance of around 0.5 см (0.2″). After sewing the apple should look like this:
5. Bring out the right side of the fabric.
6. Fill in the apples.
7. Use needle and thread in red to close the upper part of the apple, like so:
8. Prepare the apple handle and sew it in as well together with the ribbon hanger (around 20 – 25 cm ribbon or between 7.8″ to 9.8″).
9. Place the hanle and hte ribon and sew everything tight.
10. Use longer needle to make a few last stitches through the apple to make the apple the right apple shape: from the handle to the bottom of the apple, not very tight.
11. Add the leaf. You can attach it with needle and thread or with hot glue gun :-).
12. And here are the ready textile apples :-).
I hope you like them and make your own 🙂